Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Today our co-workers gave the both of us a surprise birthday party. This is the first surprise party that I have ever had that was actually a surprise. All the others somehow found their way into my consciousness before the actual event and I had to "act" surprised. That is really hard to do and make it believable. However, today they managed to pull it off without a hitch. Several days ago they invited us over for supper and we accepted. I had no idea what they were up to and I live right next door in a small duplex. It must have been a miracle that I didn't hear anything or walk over there for something or in some way mess things up for them. I didn't even notice when 20 people showed up and sneaked in next door. I am really getting old and deaf and I'm scared.

There is a lot going on here and the next few weeks are going to be extremely busy. People are coming and going every few days. Men on survey trips, groups coming to help for a week or two, a couple of folks coming to stay for several months. Health issues are raising their ugly heads, so it is a very good thing that help is on the way and willing to stay for awhile. What we are doing here is way over our heads and far above our capabilities. If the Lord doesn't do His work, it won't get done. Several years ago a comic strip character made the statement that "God gives us all a certain number of tasks to finish in our lifetime. At the rate I am going now, I can never die." It is not nearly as funny now as it was when I read it long ago. As a matter of fact, there are a great many things that are not as funny now as they were a while back.

People send me e-mails about funny things that old people do, or "how to know that you are getting old." I used to laugh hysterically, but now those things just aren't as funny as they used to be. Maybe I am losing my sense of humor. Maybe someone is trying to steal my body parts while I am sleeping, like in the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." A while back I was shocked to notice that someone took my lovely auburn hair and substituted silver stuff in its place. I also noticed a gap had formed between two of my teeth. How did that happen? I looked in the mirror and it was really scary. There was this old man standing behind me at the sink. Who was that? I think that someone came into my house and installed trick mirrors, because this morning when I was brushing my teeth I looked up and there was this old fat broad that I didn't recognize looking back at me. This is not funny.

No comments: