Thursday, July 28, 2011

Going Back to Thailand

I am going back to Thailand for who knows how long. I guess you could say that I live there. Texas is my home, but Thailand is where I split my time. My husband and I are missionaries and we work all over the world while living in Thailand.

Right now it is a lot cooler there than it is here in Texas. Triple digit temps for almost a month here now. Rainy season is on its way and by the time we get there, it should be just beginning in earnest. I like rainy season. Number one reason: it is a lot cooler than dry season. Number two reason: I enjoy the sound of rain on the tile roof, especially at bedtime. Makes me sleep well.

We have a lot of friends in Texas that I really hate to leave behind, but I also have a lot of friends in Thailand that I am anxious to see again, so there is a trade off there.

While we were in the U.S. this time, we made a trip down to the extreme South. Houma, Louisiana, the hometown of Susanna Domangue, who was my partner in crime for several years in several countries, doing mission work. She is now married, living in Atlanta, Georgia, with one little boy and another on the way. Her parents went to Atlanta and kidnapped her and the baby and hauled them down to Houma to see us when they found out we were coming. I had not seen her for 4 years. That is way too long. Her Dad is the Pastor of the Galilean Baptist Church there in Houma and their family and the church family have been dear friends of ours for almost 30 years. Houma--now that is a place worthy of a travel comment. It is so far south that New Orleans is considered "up north." Antebellum homes, alligators, Cajuns. It is a wonderful place to visit. If you ever make it as far south as New Orleans, head on down to Houma. Visit Avery Island, the home of Tabasco Sauce. South Louisiana is pretty awesome as an American tourist destination.

No comments: